At Solar Panels Express, we know that everyday Americans are seeking out alternative sources of power that will meet their needs and reduce costs. Solar power energy is one of the most on-demand energies in today’s market.
Solar energy was discovered in 1839 by French physicist Edmond Becquerel. His scientific experiments led him to discover the photovoltaic effect. This effect demystified how the particles of light could generate a consistent flow of electricity.
Solar power is a form of renewable energy commonly used to power homes and businesses. Most people only hear about this power option but do not understand exactly what it is and does.
We have identified some common questions that most people ask. These questions will help you gain an important basic understanding of solar power.
Common questions and answers about solar power
- How does solar power work? Solar power works by converting light from the sun into electricity. This electricity contains real electricity used to power devices like gaming consoles, computers, televisions, refrigerators, etc.
- In the solar power system, how do solar panels work? The solar power system is made up of four major components – solar panels, inverters, racking, and batteries.
- Solar panels are the main components that collect the light and convert it into useful energy. Solar panels are made of tempered glass, a non-reflective outside layer that provides environmental protection. The top side of the panel has a conductive electrode that acts as a cathode. A nice thick layer of p-type or n-type semiconductors follows the panels. P-type has fewer free electrons while N-type has more free electrons. The bottom layer of the solar panel is the anode – opposite electrode. Sunlight has photons that are energized. This energy is sent to the photons from the chemical reactions that happen in the sun. The energy from the photons is transferred to the semiconductor materials in the solar cells and creates a steady flow of electrons. The flow of electrons is harnessed by the inverter and creates AC electricity that is used to power your home or business.
- Inverters convert the DC power generated by the solar panels into AC power that is used as electricity. A series of solar panels will be wired to the inverter to convert the incoming solar power into usable energy. The inverter is located in a safe place that is easy to access especially for maintenance. You can place it in the garage, basement, or on your porch.
- Racking & rails are installed on top of the mounting feet to provide a stable and solid base where the solid panels are. Solar panels must be placed on a sturdy foundation on the roof or the ground. Secure racking is important to keep the panels firmly in place during any kind of weather.
- Batteries store the extrasolar power produced by the PV systems during the day to be used at night. Most batteries available today have a storage capacity of 9.8 kWh. These can last you a day or a couple of days depending on your usage or electricity needs.
Are solar panels worth it?
The answer is Yes! Solar panels help you save money and utilize an efficient renewable energy resource. Even during winter or dark rainy days, solar panels will continue to produce energy because the AC power is derived from light, not heat.